Sunday, January 25, 2009

he came!!

carter tyrell smith was born january 16th at 7:35pm eastern time, on one of the coldest days in years (-11 degrees, -20 to -30's with the wind chill). he weighed 8 lbs and was 21 inches long. ten fingers and ten toes... he's perfect!



this is a picture of me on his due date, january 14th. still pregnant as you can see and getting a little anxious. my mom had come into town early because she really wanted to be here for the delivery. so we sat around and waited for baby boy smith to arrive. in our spare time, we made him the most adorable crib set! (thanks you mom for walking me through it and thank you ami for letting us borrow your sewing machine) it turned out really cute and i love it. i quit working monday january 12 and started getting the last few things ready for our new arrival.
























i started having contractions the night of the 14th and they were nothing like i imagined they would be. they were close together for a while there but had worn off by morning. now, i thought, that a contraction would hurt all over my stomach but that was not the case. it was all lower back and lower abdominal pain... strange. my doctor told me that once i was having contractions that were 4 minutes apart, that hurt so badly i wanted to cry, then i should stay home for one hour and then go to the hospital. i continued to have contractions all day the 15th but they were irregular. but on the 16th i finally started to get closer together and finally i met criteria. so i called tyrell to come and get me and we headed to the hospital (tyrell did not want to miss out on the driving me to the hospital part.) my worst fear was that they would sent me home because i was not far enough along, but i was and they kept me, we checked in around 11:00am. hurray, the time has come. i sat in triage for a little while and then they moved us to the delivery room, and i got my epidural at 3cm. it was a beautiful thing, and although putting in it was not all that great, it gave me tons of relief and all i wanted to do was sleep. so we just hung out and things were peaceful. then things got painful really quickly. i started feeling the contractions again and tons of pressure. so i called the nurse in and told her that i wanted to push and was feeling contractions again. they checked me and i was at 8cm. and once they got everyone in there they started having me push. turns out carter was facing the wrong way, with his face forward, and that was why i was having pain. the epidural was no longer working and when i pushed, his heart rate dropped. they had me on all fours pushing to try to turn him around, which was really more comfortable for me, but lets be honest... it hurt. so because the cord was around his shoulder, he kept decelerating. but my pushes were very effective and they told me they were going to use the forceps to help get him out more quickly so his heart rate wouldn't continue to be stressed. they made me lay on my back, they pulled out the salad tongs, and helped pull him out of there. they were not that great of a time let me tell you, again the epidural was not working so i could feel more than i wanted to . but i did not have to push too long and he made it into this world just fine. my mother was in there and has since stated that she does NOT want to go through this with me again. i suppose it was not as enchanting as she thought it might be :)





he came out crying and with his eyes wide open.
(even though in this picture they are closed, the erythromycin really made his eyes red)














here is the quintessential picture of the new little family, where the mother looks like she has been hit my a truck, the baby looks ticked to be on the outside, and the dad is so happy that his part in all of this took place 9 months ago.

this picture captured the historic moment when tyrell broke his streak of never having changed a diaper. it was pretty funny to watch, but he is getting better. we learned about little boys and their tendency to pee when the diaper is off the hard way. he got me once and really gave one of the nurses a run for her money. tyrell is hilarious because he lives in constant fear that the baby will urinate on him, and is always on the defense. he is also always ready with the bleach to clean the changing pad if any waste gets on it. i fear one of these days i will find him bleaching the baby:)



he was born on friday and we brought him home sunday morning in all the snow. my mom had bought these beautiful flowers for us when we arrived home. thanks mom





















so here are some picture of out cute little man. thank you everyone for your phone calls and good wishes. we are doing great. i am getting around really well and feeling great. carter is a great nurser even though that particular thing is much more painful than i thought it would be. he sleeps well and is the best baby.he is very content to just sit and look around and for that i am truly grateful! knock on wood.














such an adorable outfit. and a cute face if i don't say so myself :)

















he has the skinniest little chicken legs! my mom has been the biggest help and we are so grateful she has been around to help us figure things out! she and my dad left today and we will miss them. tyrell's mom will be coming out soon and we look forward to having her here... carter loves his grandmas.
















and my favorite are the smiles he gives after he eats. smiles or gas i don't really care it is adorable.





my dad came out as well to see the baby and get my mom. we drove to belle isle just to show them around and we found this cool ice thing. they are making it with a sprinkler on the top of this thing and it makes a really cool formation.

28 comments:

Summers Family said...

Wow, he is so stinkin' cute! I love when they are big babies... other than the pushing part... they just look so much cuter when they are chunky! Congratulations!

Burdett Family said...

Congrats. I feels your pain I didn't have an epideral when I had my first and it was horrible. I pushed for a half hour before I convinced the doctor to use the vacume to get her out. I'm glad you both are doing well. He looks just like his daddy.

Broderick Family said...

Oh my goodness Jordan! Carter is beautiful! We can't wait to meet him. I'll call you soon. I promise!

Tyler and Naomi said...

Glad everyone is doing good! He is so cute! I think he looks like his daddy!

Stephanie Clites said...

Hi, I'm Paul Clites wife...

Congratulations!! He is so adorable! They only get more fun and more sweet!

Johnson Family said...

Hey Jordan,
Congratulations on the little one! Super cute, hope you everything is going great for you and your adorable family.

Nikki Johnson
(pulsipher)

Jaime said...

CONGRATS! Glad things went OK (not textbook normal), but at least you didn't have to have a c-section! He is so precious!!

Cossebooms said...

Yeah!! We are so happy for you and your cute little family. How fun to have your parents there and to have your mom help you! You are a great mom!

Camden Smith - CS PHOTO said...

Congratulations guys! We are so excited for you. Come and see us soon, so we can meet our new addition.

Lighthouse said...

Congrats to your beautiful baby Carter. He is so cute! You guys all look great. We are so happy for you. -Cousin Carolyn & Family

Marisa said...

See labor really works to get the name you want. His name is so cute. We are so proud of you guys and the great parents you will be. Lots of love.

A said...

Congrats! He is very cute. Dont Worry about the pee Tyrell, there are much worse things in store for you to clean up!

B said...

What a great post! congratulations!! You guys are in for a great ride:) You will be wonderful parents! Try to enjoy every moment, they change so fast! We can't wait to meet the newest member of the family:)

Erin-lou said...

Awww, I love that you are a mommy. You guys are so cute. I'm glad to hear you made it through ok. Give the little one a kiss from me.

Mauri said...

Googala schmoogala!
he to sooo cute! I'm soo excited for you guys. I've been totally stocking your blog since I new you had him wanting to catch my first glimpse. LOVE IT AND LOVE YOU!
your post was great too by the way... and the "quinticenial" first family picture... nice. Isn't that great how it always works that way.
HUG from me...I'm gald you guys are doing soo well and enjoy the grandma help while you can!

Norris Family said...

Congrats Smith Clan he is perfect. Absolutely. I loved your description of your delivery, isnt it all the truth. My first was born with out an epidural at all so I know exactly what you were talking about. Good name, by the way!

Lucia said...

Just had to add my Congrats too!What a cute family.

*Katie May* said...

Hey I'm Katie Brian's sis in law. I met you at the Cluff's around Thanksgiving when you got you hair done :) (Ty knows who I am) Anyway he's beautiful Congrats!!

THE SMITH FAMILY said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CARTER TYRELL SMITH!!!!! We welcome you into the best family Heavenly Father has. :) You have granpa Leroy eyes. And are about as adorable as can be. We love every finnger and toe. Congrats Ty and Jordan. If you need anyone to call abt anything I am here for you both. HE IS ADOREABLE!
LOVE, your "Favorite Aunt Amber"

Marisa said...

Whatever Amber I am going to be his favorite Aunt. You don't always get to be the favorite :)

Hale Yes!! said...

I am so glad that everything turned out great and that you are healthy and that he is as well!! He is so so cute and you look so beautiful as well!! I love and miss you guys!! Hopefully we will get to see the little guy before he is two or three!!

THE SMITH FAMILY said...

Sweet baby Carter! Aunt Marisa is only dreaming. Lots of Love Aunt Amber

Camden Smith - CS PHOTO said...

You guys are both dreaming!!! Carter is smart enough to knnow who's the most fun in the family. That's right Uncle Camden is top dawg in the favorite catagory!

Camden Smith - CS PHOTO said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andy and Michele said...

K - by all the comments, do you think we've been waiting for this moment?! He is stickin' adorable! Love the striped little jacket. Oh, and the bedding is SO cute. I'd like more details on how you made it all! I'm sorry that he was turned wrong and you had to go through all that. But thanks for the details, it reminds me that I don't want another one just yet! Yeah for 8lbs. boys who are well behaved! I'm glad you're getting sleep. That's wonderful that your mom was able to be there to help you. Let us know when we can come (we're saving our flyer miles!) We are way excited for you.

Alyssa said...

Congratulations Jordan! He's a cutie! Glad you're both doing well.

ms said...

Jordan - my mom called me when she found out she had your baby and I was so jealous...sitting at home with a bowling ball for a stomach waiting for the "wait" to be over. :) He is a cutie pie - I bet you're loving having your mom around.

J-R said...

He is so cute! Congratulations on such a cute little guy, I'm glad everything is going well for your new little family!