Thursday, March 26, 2009

the chase

the other day i was putting carter down for his morning nap. he had fallen asleep in my arms and i was extending my sweet lullaby and swaying to ensure true slumber before i put him down. that is when i heard the garbage truck. the garbage comes on tuesday mornings and when i heard it i knew i had to act fast. tyrell will usually put it out on tuesday mornings as he is heading to work (the neighbor's trash on the street reminds him that today is the day). but i knew he had failed this tuesday because he was running late.


so i quickly put the baby down, put on a shirt and headed to the back door. i grabbed the trash can and ran to the street. it was at this point that i had to quickly evaluate the situation. was the truck coming or going? are the neighbors cans emptied? ok, it's going and yes they are, the truck has already past my house. ok, should i... take the trash can to the back yard because it is too late? do i yell? do i run? and that is when i knew what to do. i was not going to be the victim of trash over flow. so i yelled 'hey' to catch their attention and started running toward them with my trash can... in my pajamas and bare feet. i am sure this provided the garbage men with a good laugh. they were very nice and rewarded my charade by taking my trash and sent me home with an empty can.


it was almost as bad as the time i chased the mail lady waving my netflix video in the air. she was wearing head phones so i had to yell a lot more and chase her a lot further. she didn't seem to like the idea and ensured me that she would be down my side of the street in a minute. woops!


i suppose it is my sj upbringing (where the garbage man never leaves his truck and the mail is delivered to a box), which has left me unable to properly interact. i am sure all future service workers will be warned of the crazy lady on parker street.

3 comments:

Jessie Lewis said...

You are far more determined than I.

srf said...

You never cease to horrify me.

Burdett Family said...

thats so funny. I just take the trash across the street or say owell.